- Please support Radio Survivor by buying Amazon products:
- General discussions • Spotify ipod free . . . but can you catch the catch?
- General discussions • Build your own radio transmitter in England!
- General discussions • Should the FCC mandate C-QUAM AM stereo for FM receivers?
- College Radio • Free streaming from Radio Free America; interested?
- Podcasting • Podcast Survivor: Crowdfunding Destination DIY
- College Radio • College Radio DJs Share Tips at Fall 2013 UCRN Event at KUCI
- Podcasting • The economics of podcasting further explored
- Podcasting • How hard is it to make money via podcasting?
- General discussions • Philippines typhoon HAM radio assistance
- General discussions • What are the hottest plug.dj communities?
- Who doesn’t like free? Spotify channels iPod shuffle for free smartphone app users
- Radio Making Workshops in UK in Name of Radio Arts
- Podcast Survivor: Stitcher Awards 2013 open for nominations, Tom Scharpling turned down a Best Show paycheck, +more
- Eclectic gifts for the radio, podcast and streaming music fan (or nerd)
- Want to revitalize AM radio? Start with better receivers
TagsAM best college radio stations Chicago Classical Public Radio Network Clear Channel college radio college radio license sales college radio station sale commercial radio community radio Family Radio FCC fighting a radio station sale HD Radio high school radio Internet radio iPhone KDFC KPFA KTRU KUSF Last.fm Low Power FM LPFM NAB NPR Pacifica Pandora pirate radio podcast podcasting Prometheus Radio Project public radio radio radio conferences radio history satellite radio Save KUSF Sirius/XM Sirius XM Spotify Turntable.fm unlicensed radio WBAI wfmu
Tag Archives: streaming
Some of today’s most successful non-commercial radio stations owe much of their success to making good use of internet platforms to reach new audiences and provide ever-improving service to their own listeners. Younger listeners tend not to differentiate between a … finish reading Radio Free America crowdfunds free streaming & community platform for college radio
The news last night that AOL is shutting down its Nullsoft division, which makes the venerable Winamp music app, hit me like a ton of bricks. Now, I haven’t used Winamp regularly in at least 7 years, so the loss … finish reading Losing Winamp and Shoutcast is bad for internet radio
This is an update of a piece that originally appeared in the October 7 edition of our free weekly email newsletter, the Radio Survivor Bulletin. Sign up now to get this digest of important and insightful links and commentary about the future of … finish reading 5 persistent challenges for internet radio stations
Yesterday streaming music service Rdio announced that radio station streaming would be free on Android and iOS mobile devices, effective immediately. Up to now the service has been subscription only, with a free trial period available for new users. Like … finish reading Rdio launches free service with ads from broadcast partner Cumulus
Weather reports and alerts are a mainstay of most live radio broadcasts, especially during drivetime, and there are plenty of apps that will deliver forecasts to your smartphone. However, updated local weather is more difficult to obtain on streaming services … finish reading Slacker adds Weather Channel local forecasts
On Thursday Slacker Radio announced that it added 6 million listeners since the service relaunched with a new design in February. That’s when Slacker upped the ante with unlimited free listening to its streaming, curated stations on PCs and mobile … finish reading Slacker Radio adds 6 million users since February relaunch
The commercial radio business is looking stronger, especially on digital platforms. Terrestrial and digital radio revenue went up in 2012, with 4th quarter revenues surging even more. That’s according to a report from the Radio Advertising Bureau. Revenue from commercial … finish reading Radio revenue up in 2012, especially on digital platforms
It’s often treated as a fact that young adults don’t listen to radio and prefer pirate music, but a recent USA TouchPoints survey (via Radio and Internet Newsletter) says that a full 40% of Americans aged 18–24 listen to streaming … finish reading Study says streaming audio reaches more Americans than video
The 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show kicks off on Tuesday and runs until Friday. As usual, I will be monitoring the announcements and news from the show for anything of import to radio, broadcast and online, podcasting and streaming. Announcements … finish reading What might be in store for radio at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show
I can barely believe that it’s been over a year since I wrote my first review of Spotify, which itself came a month after the service debuted in the US. At the time I was most critical of the relative … finish reading One year in, how I learned to like Spotify – a follow-up review.